Meet Sydney Stephenson
Huntington Beach, CA
Personal/Group Trainer and Kickboxing Instructor
@sydforfitness & sydforfitness.com
This weeks feature is a little bit different than anything that’s been on the blog thus far. It touches on a very real, VERY important subject matter. In the interview below with Syd you will find great information about physical aspects of fitness, but you’ll also learn about the importance of developing and maintaining good mental fitness. Its easy to place all of the focus on our exterior when we spend so much time working on a fit physique, that’s why its important to remember that a healthy mind is crucial in achieving a savage body!
Before diving into the interview check out the video’s below, where I catch up with Sydney and she walks me through some of her favorite workouts!
Keep scrolling to find out how Sydney found her (inner) strength…
How did you get into personal training?
I’ve been an athlete my entire life. I started playing soccer when I was five years old. I quit soccer eventually to play water polo, which I played in college. I moved away from my home town to play at Long Beach State, which brought me to Southern California. I started working with a bootcamp in Long Beach which inspired me to get my certification. Recently, I achieved my goal of becoming an Equinox trainer! I had been gunning for that. It’s definitely the top level.
How would you say that your background in sports has impacted the way that you train your clients?
I know how to push my limits. Being a college athlete was a full time job. We would have 8 and 9 hour practices a day. Not straight, but in total. Its a lot. You think you want to quit, but your coach will push you past that to a point you never thought you could go.
What do you want your clients to know when they’re walking into the gym for the first time? What is a piece of advice you would give to them?
I would tell them to feel comfortable in their own body. There’s not a single perfect body in the world. Its difficult at times living in Southern California. You know? There’s lots of people that look like celebrities. But, there are also lots of normal people that have beautiful bodies, who are very strong and are great athletes.
A lot of people that look fabulous still have their own problems with their bodies. You never know what someone is feeling inside their own skin.
Do you personally follow any sort of diet while your training?
I do. I follow the 80/20 rule right now. Ive done all kinds of diets and they almost all work, but a lot of them can be strenuous on your brain. I think feeling my best is when I can eat what I want and don’t have to stress about it. So I make sure that about 80% of the time I’m watching what Im putting into my body. The other 20%, I eat what I want!
What are your personal fitness goals at the moment?
About two years ago I was training for a bikini competition, but I fell off and haven’t been able to get back to it. I would love to get back to that place where I would feel confident and comfortable enough to do a show.
Lastly, I have to ask, what does a savage body mean to you?
I would say that its the body that you can walk down the street and have 100% confidence in. The reason I fell off track from competing was because
I was battling an eating disorder.
I feel like it gives me a different view of things now. Like, what is a perfect body? Its not how I look. Its how I feel. Things like that. Everyday is a battle. The statistic is that 1 in 7 girls has an eating disorder. It’s ridiculous, but it’s not easy when you have goals of looking a certain way. I took a break to get healthy and I overcame my eating disorder.
*I had to stop and thank Sydney for sharing that personal detail. Her openness to share her own struggle truly impacts the care and emotional consideration with which she approaches her clients.*
Listening to Sydney talk about her struggle hit home for me, as I’m sure it will for so many readers. Its not an easy world out there. Theres so much pressure about what you think you should look like vs. what you actually do. I know there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t personally struggle with thoughts of comparison. Finding inner strength takes courage and hard work. I couldn’t appreciate Sydney more for sharing her story.
If you or someone you care about has an unhealthy relationship with food there are people that can provide you with a support system. Click here to get information about recovery. You’re never alone, its not a cliche phrase. It’s the truth.
Want to train with Sydney? Here’s where you can find her:
Huntington Beach, CA
Long Beach, CA